Nov 19, 2011

Making of a Nursery - Part 4

Last time I showed you a few of the accent fabrics that I picked out, and now, after much work, I am ready to show you what I have done with them so far. 


I will start by saying that if you have not discovered Pinterest yet...go sign up now!  Be warned, it will consume hours of your time....hours looking at the site and then hours trying to recreate all that you discover on the site.

To say that I am obsessed would be an understatement...but it really has been helpful in planning and preparing the nursery.  For instance I have wanted an X stool/bench for a while but could never justify spending over $300 for a stool.  I wanted to use one in the nursery in place of an ottoman because I thought it would add some interest to the room and also provide another place to sit in case Nick and I were both in the room.

So while on Pinterest a few weeks ago  I found this:

These are X stools from K-Mart!  Yes that's right K-Mart.  This is what they look like from the store.
This decorator simply painted the legs and covered the top.  What a great idea...and they are only $40.  Perfect solution for the nursery ottoman.  So off to K-Mart I went and got my very own.  Here is my transformation.



I may paint the legs at some point, but for now I like it the way it is.  Next on my list was to frame some of the fabric to go over the crib.  The sweet ladies at Sew Sheri Designs (the fabric store in Mt. Brook where I bought the fabrics) had the wonderful idea of framing the sea life print in multiple frames.  I was sceptical at first, but I love how it turned out.  This pattern has a large repeat so it isn't a great choice for pillows or smaller items, but framing it really gives the effect of the entire pattern.



Yet again while on Pinterest I came across this nursery:


They took Shel Silverstein poems and framed them for art in their daughter's nursery.  I love Shel Silverstein and thought this was such a great idea.  I opted not to spring for custom framing but rather pre-made frames from Michaels.  I think they turned out well.


I water colored a yellow border around each poem then matted and framed them.


Last but not least I finally decided on storage baskets for the changing table.  I have looked at every store that I could think of that sells baskets and while there are tons out there it is really difficult to find ones that are the right height and depth.  I ended up settling on these from Pier 1.  They had a dark brown stain and the brown just didn't seem to blend with the rest of the room.  I noticed that Restoration Hardware sells gray baskets in their Baby the Child line and thought that was a happy medium between the typical white or brown. 


I decided to spray paint mine gray and went to work making liners from both of the fabrics.



That will do it for this update....Ok so there are 4 days until Thanksgiving.  Not sure I will be completely done by then, but  I feel good about the progress I have made so far!

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so great... love the framed poems. That is such a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete