Sep 26, 2011

Skirted Table

Amongst all of the baby/nursery preparations we have been doing some other rearranging to make room.  Now that our guest room is the nursery we had to move our guest room downstairs into what used to be the office/sewing room. 

When it was the office we had a desk that we used for the computer, files, and any other junk we could come up with.  There is nothing special about the desk...it is just your typical computer desk, but recently I have noticed people making box pleat skirts for various tables and desks.  We were needing a TV stand in this room and rather than go buy another piece of furniture I decided to try and make a skirt for the desk.

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about these are a few examples of skirts I was looking to mimic.






Great idea right???  I read on one blog that recommended lining the skirt with blackout lining to give it some weight and to help it hang properly.  So I took all the measurements, cut out the fabric (just a plain linen from Joann's), cut out my lining and started putting all 22 pieces together.  I know 22 pieces!  It was somewhat difficult to get on the sewing machine due to the size and weight but in the end it was well worth the effort.

This is how it turned out.

Before

After

I was so excited when my sister-in-law (she is an interior designer) came over and said that she really liked it!  I am always unsure of my decorating ability so when I have her approval I feel like I have done something right!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so lucky and fortunate to have such a caring, talented and beautiful wife! All of these "transformations" look great Julie! I love you!

    ReplyDelete