Feb 3, 2012

The Day Our World Changed

Well I am only about a month late with this post, but I wanted to be sure to record the events while they are still fresh on my mind.  As all of you know, Nick and I welcomed our precious son, Graham, into the world on December 28, 2011.  I have so much to share but want to begin with the my thoughts on delivery day.

Here is a quick timeline of the events leading up to the delivery. 
December 27th
8:00 p.m.   Arrived at the hospital and settled into our room.
9:00 p.m.   Received first dose of Cervidil
December 28th
1:00 a.m.   Received second dose of Cervidil
5:00 a.m.   Started Pitocin
5:45 a.m.   My water was broken
7:00 a.m.   Epidural
8:45 a.m.   Started Pushing
9:30 a.m.   Still Pushing
10:00 a.m. Still Pushing
10:15 a.m. Still Pushing
10:23 a.m. He is finally here!

I am not sure that anything prepares you for that moment when you and your husband are riding in the car to the hospital to have your first child.  I was nervous, anxious, excited, and extremely uncomfortable  all at the same time.  When we arrived at the hospital it was like we were checking into a hotel...very strange and nothing at all like I envisioned the process.

Throughout the night and leading up to delivery I really didn't have any really deep thoughts or insights.  I just remember taking it one step at a time and going through the motions.  I was somewhat anxious about the delivery and the pain associated with that but there was no doubt that I was ready to have this baby and see my son.

After the sleepless night, the contractions, the epidural, and the pushing Graham finally arrived.  From the second he came out I felt as if I became a different person.  From that moment I was oblivious to my pain or anything else going on at the time...all I was concerned about was that sweet baby and if he was ok.  Here we are a month later and those are still my thoughts every hour of every day.  I guess that is what being a mom is all about...

I will leave you with this... Our first family picture.  Again not what I envisioned our first family photo to look like, but nonetheless this is it.

1 comment:

  1. Precious first family picture! Love it! Can't wait to catch up soon! =)

    ReplyDelete